Saturday, January 15, 2011

What Kind of Extremist Will You Be?

My friend and mentor, Robyne Stevenson Turner (left), wrote a beautiful, thoughtful, reflective piece honoring the anniversary of Martin Luther King day.  Below is my favorite section of her post, and I hope you'll read the rest of it here.
  

"MLK wrote, "So the question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be. Will we be extremists for hate or for love? Will we be extremists for the preservation of injustice or for the extension of justice?"



I believe we must be extremists of responsibility. That does not mean to be vigilantes or to demonize those with whom we disagree. I am often quick to lay blame at the feet of Palin, Limbaugh, and Beck. But instead, I need to take responsibility for what I am doing - how am I sounding the message of extremism for justice? How am I living into the dream of MLK that ours would be a society of character and not color? What am I doing to prevent the next Tucson, the next bobble-head exchange of vitriol, the day-to-day despair of dreams denied by people like me that have more power and position than ever earned?"

No comments:

Post a Comment