Saturday, December 4, 2010

VISUALIZE THIS!

Imagine if each social network site were it's own country on a map of the social networld.  The folks at http://www.flowtown.com/ did just that.  Here's the result. 

This very cool visual tells you at a glance the relative membership size of each of the social network sites.  The other really interesting thing is how many of the big ones I've never heard of, or even if I've heard of them, have never visited.

I guess I have some travel plans to make!   








































Many thanks to my pal Alison for steering me to this map, and to Diane Adams of Bit Rebels blog for writing about it.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm. This map sure looks eerily similar to XKCD's online communities maps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, after hunting around a little bit, I discovered that this is indeed a take-off of xkcd. If you look in the lower right-hand corner, you'll see a tiny little attribution....

    ReplyDelete
  3. oop, you can't see it on this version. but go to the www.flowtown.com website and you'll see it.

    ReplyDelete